Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thing number 18, Web Apps

Mmm, Google Docs. Now that is cool. Oh, I've actually heard of Zoho before, when I was looking for a word processing program when all I had was WebTv. (WebTv, now called MSNTv, is a box that allows you to surf the web using your tv as a monitor. It doesn't download but you can send emails and visit web pages and I still use it almost every night and surf while in bed.) I never actually used Zoho because my brother made a computer for me (yes from parts!) but it looked good.

I already have a Google account, so that isn't a problem. I had to sign out of my account so I could sign in with the given id and password. Well, this is what I got:

"Google Docs

Unable to locate the requested document revision. Please check the URL and try again."


I tried it a couple of times. I was afraid your document was lost. Not giving up, I clicked on Google docs beta, aha! saw a few links, found Web Players on Google Docs, added my name, saved and closed, and let's see...

Yep, my name be there. And logged out. For a project? I don't currently have anything, unless...I do make bracelets and people at my branch love them. I guess I can make a Google doc and say what beads I have, and invite my coworkers to request their bracelets and what beads they want in it on there. Hmm. Also, not currently but in the near future I'll maybe be cowriting a story with someone and we can use Google Docs so I can add content and then she can edit it. Or this is a great idea for betaing-a fanfic writer can post a story to it, then the beta can make changes, and the writer can comment back, all done without email. Yep, I can see this definitely being a useful tool :)

P.S. below is a picture of an older bracelet I made :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Google Docs is a useful tool, but what we found for our library is even better. It lets store books data and dates when they should be returned. We turned tasks into book files. Plus we can also plan poject, gatherings and event. What do you think of it?