Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thing number 16, Wikis

Ah, wikis.

For exercise number 1:

And oh, the first thing I'm greeted with is that they had vandalism problems. Hmm, that's not good. Okay first off, it's created for librarians. And you can add stuff if it'll be helpful to other librarians. And

"...Anyone who wants to add to or edit topics on the wiki can do it. You don't need to ask before making a change -- this wiki belongs to the community of librarians who use it."
So....this is pretty much for librarians. Guess I don't qualify? :(

It does seem to have a lot of good links though, and heh-Tribal LIbraries? Neat :) Web services, self checkout, podcasting-this does seem to have a lot to offer. Interestingly though, when I clicked the History tab most of the entries/changes are from 2006, with only a couple from 2007 and only a few from 2008. Maybe there is a more hip library wiki? For me, useful-not so much, and you already know how I feel about things skewing just to librarians, so there you go.

For exercise number 2:

Yep, saw the
"The content of this article has been derived in whole or part from http://www.oceancountylibrary.org. Permission has been received from the copyright holder to license this material under the GNU Free Documentation License. "
under the discussion tab and clicked the history tab. I only saw changes from 2007. Hmm. Garnetpoint made revisions. Oh hey, I read about Sparks, clicked on the number 28 and on the bottom it says "This page was last modified on 16 May 2008, at 03:48." Cool :)

This wikis thing is definitely interesting-of course I do tend to go to Wikipedia a lot. I already know there are wikis on my interest-there is a wiki devoted to Supernatural and the many types of fanfiction it has. I've been known to visit it :) Now though I might actually try using the discussion and history buttons more often. Oh and p.s.-I just love those common craft videos ♥

Another thing down, on to the next! (Pant, pant)

No comments: