Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thing number 11, Library thing

Now that was probably one of the easiest things :) I was going to try and find out how to add the widget to show my library and it just flowed from right after I added books to my new Library Thing account. So now you can see the books I added. Bet you can't guess the theme :) (Hint: yes, it's ghosts and writing, lol-ok that wasn't a hint, that was telling, but I don't have a present for if you guessed it, hehehe cough.) I can see how people would easily reach the free 200 book limit and want to add more. It is kinda cool.

Apparently, however, my choices for books are not shared by thousands of others, lol, not that I expected it. Surprisingly, 237 other people have the Field Guide to Demons, etc. in their libraries-and to think I had to interlibrary loan it. Now let's see, are there any discussions about the books? Okay, that was harder, but I'm guessing that Talk must be involved.

Okay, went to Talk, and then clicked on Your Books (which would be the books I entered into my library) and aha, here are "Topics mentioned books in your library":

Topics unread/messages Last message

50 Book Challenge : Ilithyia in '08 - less tv even more books!
Grammar snobs are great big meanies : a guide to language for fun and spite 83 Ilithyia, Yesterday 6:36pm

Writer-readers : Choosing Names for Characters
The Writer's Digest character naming sourcebook 43 felinette, April 5

Dewey Decimal Challenge : The 400s: Language
Grammar snobs are great big meanies : a guide to language for fun and spite 10 _Zoe_, January 19

List Five Books Parlour Game : Infinitives
A field guide to demons, fairies, fallen angels, and other subversive spirits 19 dihiba, July 2007

The Green Dragon : The Crystal Bible: A Definitive Guide to Crystals by: Judy Hall
A kaleidoscope of crystals :update : the reference book describing the metaphysical properties of the mineral kingdom 9 darrow, July 2007

List Five Books Parlour Game : Old Scratch's Lair
A field guide to demons, fairies, fallen angels, and other subversive spirits 13 Antares1, June 2007

Hogwarts Express : What useful non-fiction books do you own get the strangest looks from friends when they learn about
A field guide to demons, fairies, fallen angels, and other subversive spirits

So it seems that The Field Guide is pretty popular. Who knew? Oh, and just found out what the conversations thing is. You click on the book, say "Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide to Language for Fun and Spite" and you get a rectangular box with information:

Members Reviews Popularity Average rating Conversations
101 8 33,433 (3.8) 2

And the conversations for this book would be 2. Cool. Okay, for a couple more to fullfill the exercise:

The Field Guide had 3, a couple of writing books had none, Love is in the Earth, the crystal book, had 1, the Character Naming book had 1, a few others had none, so the winner with the most is once again The Field Guide to Demons. Hmm, maybe the library should look into Field Guides...they do seem pretty popular. We can have the Field Guide to controlling your runaway Westie puppy, the field guide to getting fur off your computer keyboard from having your cat sit on your lap, and the ever popular field guide to buying comfortable shoes for standing at the circulation desk for hours on end :)

Um, okay, I'd better stop now, lol. Hope that I've now done this thing, cause it's gonna be closing time soon. I'd do the advance exercise, but I'm pretty far behind so maybe once I catch up I can come back to it. Have a good night!

2 comments:

Glynis said...

Wow, nice job on this post.
Very comprehensive!

Alisa said...

Thanks a lot! Glad you liked it :) I'm having fun with these things. Have a great day!